Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Agapanthus Update

Dear Readers,

I just surprised myself. I am a lousy speller, even before the accident, and worse since. My spell checker doesn’t like how I have been spelling Agapanthus. I just looked it. Dang if I didn’t spell it right! Now, I wonder if this is the same way I spelled it on the other post . . .

I have bad aches and pains today. The cold front moving in has hit me hard. And I assure you that has everything to do with the accident and nothing to do with age. Don’t even suggest . . .

Somewhere or other on here I was telling you about the Agapanthus I had accidentally germinated. I will find the link for you in a sec. Well, I ended up with 6 - six packs. I think I told you that too. I had kept most of them in my room, which is relatively cool (at least this time of year.) But there is a bright south-facing window. Four of those six packs were hanging out in the window, where they warm up for a few hours a day – in direct sun, and have bright light the rest of the day.

One of the other six packs was on the back porch, which is about the warmest outside spot. It gets a few hours of direct sun, the cement warms up and the house reflects some heat also. I noticed right away that those Agapanthus seedlings did not like being in the direct sun. It was much too bright and hot for them, so I moved them into the shade of another plant. The last 6 pack was placed in my tray with bottom heat and full spectrum light.

A few days ago I did an assessment on how the plants were doing. The ones in my room were absolutely doing the best. I had no need to push the little test any further. Now they are all living in those bright windows. I know once the weather turns warm they will need a new spot – because that window gets down right hot. But that time has not arrived.

And as I was telling my buddy today, I hope it doesn’t warm up till my shoulder gets better. I haven’t shaved my dang legs all winter. It is a really scary sight. I know this is true by his reaction when I lifted up my pants leg and revealed an inch of fuzzy calf. When he recovered from the shock, he said – “Well, at least it keeps you warm.” But I digress.

I have been checking out how much Agapanthus plants go for in the catalogs. Depending on size, variety, and the catalog in question the range seems to be from about $5.00 to about $10.00. Not that I intend to sell them. I also have no idea how long it takes them to grow out to a sellable size. But we shall see . . .

Here is the first post on the Agapanthus: http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/2006/02/agapanthus-surprise-seedling-news-i.html

There is always so much more that I could tell you. But I got aches and pains. I am going to go take care of my news group (there is a link to the right of this page) and then snuggle up with my heating pad. Oh, what a relief it will be . . .

You all have a cozy warm night . . .

Harvest

No comments: